Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ah!!

Tomorrow we leave for Taiwan! Mike and I got a call last night at 9:45 from the recruiter, who told us that we will not be living in Taipei after all. They need us in Taichung (southwest of Taipei, halfway down the island). I was kinda ticked off at first. I've been reading up and preparing myself for Taipei, and now a day and a half before we leave, they tell us we won't be living or working there. But there are some benefits to being in Taichung: it's less affected by typhoons, it's cheaper, and it's centrally located on the island so it will be faster to get everywhere. So I've accepted it (not that I had any other choice) and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm decided to map out my goals and list important things that I have to keep in mind for this excursion. Goal #1 for moving to Taiwan: to see if I like teaching. Goal #2: to see if I like Chinese culture enough to pursue it in grad school. I need to keep in mind that I can't compare my experiences in Taiwan to those in Hong Kong. I know I will probably never recreate the friendships I made in Hong Kong and I can't expect to in Taiwan. I fully expect to be frustrated by my school by the end of the year--I can't expect to love it and for everything to go smoothly. As long as we come out of this thing alive and not too traumatized I will be happy. And if it gives me some direction, that would be AWESOME.

2 comments:

Billie said...

I'm nervous and excited for you all wrapped in one. Actually...I'm thinking about applying for some passports now so when Spring rolls around we will be ready to see you. I pray we make it over there. The experience will be once in a lifetime and I really want to be able to share that with Lex, and without you or Michael I dont think I would ever have thought about taking Lex there. So this will be an exeprience Aunt Carolyn and Uncle Michael gave her. She will cherish it. I hope you have a good flight. And that all goes well while you are settling in. Please keep in touch. Love you hun.

mom said...

COME BACK!! I MISS YOU!!!