Monday, January 11, 2010

Seven Colors Hill

The highlight of our time in Northern Argentina was probably the day we saw the Seven Colors Hill and the Salt Plains. At least for me it was!

Again we took the bus--this time from Tilcara to Purmamarca. We disembarked and found a plaza with lots of vendors selling souvenirs. Then we spotted the Seven Colors Hill from afar.
So we walked toward it.
We hiked up a small hill right across from the 7 Colors Hill to get a good look. Wow! So colorful!
The landscape surrounding the 7 Colors Hill was lovely as well.

Then we went for a little hike around the place.

Seriously, what's with the DirecTV!?!?ooOOooo mountain-y!

A PURPLE MOUNTAIN!
After our hike, we hung out in a cafe for a while, enjoying coffee and a snack. I drink coffee pretty infrequently (it fails to keep me awake and it hurts my stomach), but the coffee in Argentina was quite enjoyable. Greece, too. There, I drank coffee every day and it was AWESOME. I don't know what's in it--olives, crack, the blood of the Gods--but it was delicious.

We also wandered around the town looking for sunglasses, since mine broke and Beccah didn't have any. The salt plains are very white (and therefore bright), and Lonely Planet recommends having sunglasses. It turns out NO ONE in the town of Humahuaca sells them. Well, one lady does. She had one pair of (pricey) sunglasses. They were ugly, but Beccah bought them.

Pretty much the only way to get to the Salt Plains is to hire a car to drive you there from Purmamarca. They're called "remise" cars. A young man, probably 18 or 19 years old, was our driver. Apparently he drives remise cars on the weekend, and during the week he goes to school to be a chef. Sweet! Given my new obsession with food, this made me very happy. I don't remember his name but he was nice and an EXTREMELY safe driver, which seems to be rare anywhere outside of America. I can't believe how incredibly safe the roads are in America compared to everywhere else. Not that I've been everywhere else, but three continents later, I'm still in awe of our obsession with safety (slash fear of everything), in all forms, not just travel.

OMG my cat Romeo won't leave me alone!

So we hired this guy to drive us to the Plains. He took the scenic route, bringing us up lots of windy roads through the mountains, so we could look at the bizarrely colored landscape and llamas. He'd stop every so often so we could look around and take pictures.

GREEN MOUNTAIN! LLAMAS! Can you see 'em? Seriously, I'm obsessed.Windy roads. (Claire calls these "sis-pics")I call these the less catchy, "Knox pics."Sorry for the redundancy but I like this picture. You can see the windy roads better.
ooOOOoooo! You can kinda see the Salt Plains comin'!
THIS IS NOT A DEAD ANIMAL. Everyone who sees this picture thinks so, but it is a really big rock in the distance, shaped like a turtle.
Because of their awesomeness, the Salt Plains get their own post. But here they are, coming closer!

1 comment:

mama lanni said...

I don't care what you say, that's a dead llama.