We had plans to hang out with Beccah's first host family in the afternoon, so we hit up an indoor antique market in the mornin'. The indoor antique market had lots of REALLY cool stuff--clothes, toys, posters, weapons. We looked at a lot of old, old photographs, books, and magazines. I think I've said this before, but I LOVE old stuff. That's probably one of the main reasons I love traveling. It's a chance to see really OLD OLD stuff. I could sit there in the antique market and smell old books all day long. Mmmmmm basement smell. Delicious.
After that, we visited a popular, ginormous, touristy market. I believe it's called the San Telmo market, named for the neighborhood of BA in which it runs. There was an antiques section of this market as well, where I seriously considered buying myself a pocket watch because POCKET WATCHES ARE THE COOLEST THINGS EVER AND IF I WERE A GUY I WOULD TOTALLY HAVE ONE, AND IF I WERE A GUY WHO KNEW ME AND WANTED ME TO THINK HE WAS SUPER COOL I WOULD DEFINITELY ACCESSORIZE MYSELF WITH ONE SO THAT I WOULD INDEED APPEAR SUPER COOL.
ESPECIALLY if I were a red-headed guy who is also my boyfriend.
Hint. Hint. Hint.
Hint.
We listened to a guy play the guitar while people tangoed (is that a word?), and Beccah bought the guy's CD for my dad (which he even autographed, ooOooO!).
But instead of purchasing a super-sweet pocket watch, I bought some gifts, postcards, a photograph of a dog on a futon, and many many many MANY earrings. And there was no haggling...how can that be?!?!?! I don't understand this place.
Beccah's host mom's name is Marita. Actually her name is Maria, but her family calls her, "Marita," a term of endearment that means, "little Maria." She has two grown sons--Patricio and Sebastian. Their good friend/Marita's former host son/Brazilian super-genius is Thiago. He joined us for lunch as well. Marita's new host daughter, Andreza (also from Brazil), was there too. It was a blast! We were there for like six or seven hours. Marita made a pasta dish with ham, which I miraculously did not photograph (probably because Beccah's other host family was a little freaked out by how much I was photographing their food), but it was delicious. And there was wine and flan (covered with dulce de leche). Can it get any better than that? I think not.
Beccah's really lucky to have had not one, but TWO really awesome host families. Truly wonderful people.
In the evening, Beccah, Andreza, and I took a stroll back in San Telmo. We sat at a cafe and enjoyed a snack and some seltzer water while watching some amateur tango dancers. Then a rat came crawling down a tree behind us and ran around the area and into the crowd of tango-ers. They didn't notice, luckily! Andreza is an awesome girl and I hope she comes to America one day to visit us. Or, I hope we can enjoy a feast at her family's place in Brazil eventually (hey, she offered!).

1 comment:
OH MY GOSH I LOVE BASEMENT SMELL TOO! You seriously made my day.
Post a Comment