Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Student Behavior I'll Never Understand: Part D

I love Emily. I really do. Emily is a perfectionist. It takes her at least an hour longer than the slowest of the other students to color, draw, or cut something. No exaggeration, I swear. I can empathize with this, and being a perfectionist can be a good thing. Her work is really impressive.

But lately she's been doing this thing that cracks me up/makes me want to hang myself. We'll be going through some dialog in our practice books, and I'll ask the students to circle a certain word. We'll talk about the word, spell the word, identify the word in the book, and then they circle it. Invariably, I'll get a couple students who are confused and can't find the word. I'll spell it for them so they can try to find it by themselves, and if that doesn't work, I'll show it to them once or twice. Then they get it and circle the word.

But Emily.

Emily Emily Emily.

Emily needs to be reassured about ten times, through each step, that she's circling the right word. This is how the conversation goes:
And there is absolutely NO exaggeration here.

Except for the crying...I save my tears for when favorite Lost characters have tearful goodbyes with their cowboy boyfriends before getting sucked into electromagnetic wells and eventually getting blown up by a hydrogen bomb, thank you very much. I have standards.

I think part of the problem is she's not as comfortable with the alphabet as other students, and has some trouble identifying letters and words, so I'm very patient with her. But I think it's mostly because she's a perfectionist.

Here?
Yes, here.
Here?
Yes.
Here?

Crazy girl.

6 comments:

mom said...

I would wonder if she is having a vision problem. It could be she can't see the word that well. That is about the age that you start seeing kids with vision issues. You may want to check it out. Although, she may just want your attention as well. I have standards as well for all-out bawling. Like watching Jon and Kate......

Katie B said...

There's a Korean guy that works in my lab who does the same thing- he checks every step four times before he can move on. It's dang frustrating!

Do you think Juliet's dead for sure? I'm hoping against hope that she's somehow not!

Beccah said...

Mom takes the vision route, I take the psychological route. Maybe Emily has OCD and can't circle the word until your "here" response feels just right. So she has to ask you like 4 times.

mom said...

Hmmmm.. good observation, Beccah.

Carolyn said...

Well the kids actually just had their eyes and ears checked about a month ago...I didn't hear how the checkups went, but it could be her eyes. I get the feeling, though, that she's just a perfectionist. Joking, I'd say she was OCD.

Carolyn said...

Juliet best be alive, or I'm gonna bust a cap! I heard the actress has a new show though....so it doesn't look good. :(