Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Student Behavior I'll Never Understand: Part C


I'll admit this one makes me seem a bit impatient and not very empathetic.

Let me differentiate between students who are genuinely confused/don't understand me with those who CHOOSE to remain confused.

There are students who actually are confused and require careful re-wording and demonstrating. I'm more than happy to help them. It's my job.

It's when students choose to act confused over focusing and thinking that drives me up a wall. I KNOW they are capable of understanding me, but they choose not to listen and think about what I'm saying. I'll be mid-sentence, explaining how to do something, and they'll interrupt me with, "Teacher I don't know!!!" They just need to stop, relax, listen, and focus, and they'd understand. Half the time they aren't even frustrated, but they respond this way. Why?!

And what's more frustrating is that many times it's directions they've heard a thousand times before, but they choose to be "confused."

So there's my full explanation of this phenomenon I'll never understand. :)

2 comments:

Michael Goldberg said...

This happened a lot in my classes too. I wonder if some teachers before us threw out assignments because the students did this, so the students learned this awful behavior in order to get out of doing work.

mom said...

Do you think you were ever guilty of this, or do you recall anyone in your classes that exhibited this behavior?