OK, I just felt my first earthquake in Taiwan. I was in the bathroom washing my face, getting ready for bed (around 2:00 am), and then the sink seemed like it was moving. Swaying. I held onto it, and it was definitely swaying. I stepped out and looked at my curtains. Swaying.
"Peace out!" I thought, putting on some jeans and my shoes.
I listened to see if anyone else was leaving their apartment. No. So I thought I'd casually walk to 7-11, pretending I just needed a beverage, so my security guard wouldn't think I was a wuss.
So that's what I did.
Now I'm back, and according to the Central Weather Bureau, there was a 6.3 magnitude earthquake about 57 km into the Pacific Ocean from Hualian City at 2:05 am. According to Wikipedia, a 6.0 earthquake is right in the middle, described as "strong." According to the Central Weather Bureau site, the intensity that Taichung should have felt the earthquake was at a level 3, described as "Light: Felt by nearly everyone, a few frightened. Buildings shake; dishes, windows, and doors shake making sounds; hanging objects shake visibly. Standing vehicles vibrate obviously; electric wires sway gently." At the moment nothing seems to be moving, so that's good.
When I was in Hong Kong, my earthquake experience felt much different. At first it felt like a big truck was driving by, until we all realized the room was shaking and we jumped up and started to run, but then it stopped. That was a relatively small earthquake too, but still unsettling. This didn't feel like shaking. It was swaying. I guess that's the difference between being on the first floor vs. the 11th floor, which I am now on.
I don't like it, I don't like that feeling!!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment