Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Solar Eclipse

When I was in 3rd grade there was a solar eclipse. Maybe a lunar eclipse...I'm pretty sure it was a solar eclipse though. They got us all excited like a week in advance of the event, and then when the big day came, they informed us we actually wouldn't be able to look directly at the sun. We'd hurt our eyes (why they didn't give us glasses or something, I'll never know). So we were told to stare at the sidewalk and watch the shadow instead. All I saw was a concrete sidewalk, and I still resent it to this day!

But I saw the eclipse today! I happened to be walking past someone looking up at it this morning. They had one of those transparent blue plastic thingies--I can't remember what the material is called--and they suggested my friend and I look too. First I looked up without the blue thingy, which was a mistake. My eyes were weird for a while. But then I got a good glimpse of the eclipse through the blue thingy...it was great!

I guess that makes up for 3rd grade!

1 comment:

dad said...

do you have any pictures??

We had a solar eclipse when we were in Gurnee. It was wierd since it was not total it looked like two images of everything.