Don't even ask about what's going on with Eric's shirt, he was wearing it like that all day.
I do have a mini-story. My morning class went on a fieldtrip to the science museum last week and in the dinosaur section are robots of a mother T-Rex and her baby T-Rex. These are really GOOD robots. They look very realistic, not all jolt-y like the robots "back in my day."
So we're walking towards them and all the kids were excited to see the T-Rex, except Boris. All of a sudden he stops and starts shaking his head, saying, "No. No. No. No." He refuses to go near it. He's completely terrified of the T-Rex. So I stayed back with him while the other students and my co-teacher went ahead and took a picture with the T-Rex.
But then we had to head to the next section, which was past the T-Rex, so Boris would have to walk by it. So I start trying to convince him to walk with me, but he won't budge. Then my co-teacher just picks him up, yelling and kicking, and carries him past the T-Rex. Success! He was fine, he wasn't crying or anything, but he was freaked out.
And seriously, I couldn't blame him. The robot is too realistic for kids! And I don't mean that kids are stupid and can't tell the difference between a real T-Rex and a fake one. I was traumatized by museum robots as a kid and I knew they were robots. They can still be disturbing! And this one being super realistic doesn't help at all. I'm surprised there weren't more students afraid to go near it. Boris was smart to be afraid! I feel like realism isn't the best goal for a dinosaur exhibit...

No comments:
Post a Comment